Dr. Seshadri Iyengar is a freelance, Neo-Classical Bharatnatyam dancer, teacher and choreographer, a Homoeopathic Physician and Yoga instructor based in Bangalore. Born in Calcutta, he was drawn towards rhythm, music and natural poise at the age of 9. As a toddler, he moved with his parents to Bangalore, where he did his schooling and took his first steps in dance. Dr. Iyengar has had his intense formal training in Bharatnatyam for over 3 decades. Proud to have been initiated into dance in the dynamic Vazhuvoor bani, he is a senior disciple of Guru Smt Padmini Ravi.
He is an empanelled artist with the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR)
As the Artistic Director of the Iyengar Centre for Fine Arts he conducts classes in Bharatanatyam and Yoga in Bangalore, India. As a dance artist he has established himself as a performer, choreographer, teacher and an arts Organiser. He has travelled extensively internationally to the USA, Canada, UK, Europe, The Middle East and several other countries for workshops and performances.
The Body Kinetics –a Brain child of Dr.Iyengar is a fitness module designed keeping in mind the needs of a dancer. He is very confident of its benefits and wants to popularise it amongst serious dance practitioners. He encourages them to learn, practice and reap the benefit that nurtures the body, mind, and breath. The aim is to bring about a connection between the technique (the dance form) and the medium (the dancer).
Iyengar Centre of Fine Arts also brings to artists and art connoisseurs the following ...
- Monthly Chamber Concerts - A platform to showcase creative ideas through dance and theatre.
- Workshop Series – a space for sharing, learning and interaction between students, artists, scholars and connoisseurs.
- Web Trio Series – an online portal on Instagram brings to the audience topics of interest keeping the trio concept in mind.
Dr. Seshadri Iyengar has collaborated with several dance companies and yoga centers from across the globe. He has been featured in some award winning dance productions and has had the privilege of working alongside many dance artists and film personalities and directors of repute.
His dance choreographies have been complimented for being unique, innovative, experimental and unpredictable. He believes that prescribed grammar should not limit one's imagination. He equally enjoys the flavours of traditional works.
Last but not the least; Dr. Seshadri Iyengar strongly believes that dance is beyond "form" and "gender".
Some venues of repute
He has performed at various venues of repute; in the USA at the New York City Centre on Broadway during 2007 for the Fall for Dance Festival. In the UK he has performed at the Lint bury Hall, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Place Theatre and Purcell Room. In India, at the India Habitat Centre and IIC in Delhi, Kinkini, Nitya Nrithya, Rasa Sanje, Ananya etc in Bangalore and several other venues of repute across the country!
During his 8 years in UK as a dancer with Srishti Dance Creations, a London-based Dance company, He has performed in several choreographic works including 'QUICK', which won THE PLACE Prize 2006, Europe's most prestigious award for choreography.
Recognition and Laurels
- A graded artist of the Doordarshan
- Dr. Iyengar is featured in the 2010 edition of ATTENDANCE as one of the Male Soloists of Bangalore, the annual dance magazine put together by Dance Historian and Critic Ashish Mohan Khokar.
- He is the recipient of the Ram Gopal award for best male soloist.
Dr. Seshadri Iyengar graduated in 1995 with a BHMS degree (Bachelor of Homoeopathy Medicine and Surgery; a 5 ½ year Graduate Study and Internship) from the Bangalore University.
He is available for Consultation.
Medical advice, Homoeopathic Treatment, Counselling, Diet, Lifestyle, etc.
1995 to 2000 - Health Officer at a Bangalore-based NGO
- Articulate Health related awareness projects at the grass root level.
- Rehabilitation - Street Children, Children with HIV, De-addiction
- Awareness - Women's Reproductive Health, hygiene, Sanitation, STDs